Life as I know it

Life As I Know It

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Triathalon Training for the Non-Athlete

Triathalon training for the non-athlete

I have never been an athlete. Oh I remember playing sports on the playground with my friends and doing all right, but when it came to organized sports or just keeping myself active, I have to admit, it just didn’t happen. Over the years, I would have brief periods of activity if my weight went above what I was comfortable with, but as soon as I reached my goal weight again, I was right back to my sedentary lifestyle.

Basically I allowed that lifestyle to continue until after my 4th child was born and although I lost a great deal of the 70 pounds I typically gained with each pregnancy, I was still overweight by at least 40 pounds. When I finally ordered P90X off the infomercial, I was truly ready to make a change because what I had been doing was no longer working.

One day, after doing P90X for almost two rounds I had the notion to go to my local high school track and see how far I could run. After doing such an intense workout program, I wanted to see what that meant to other activities. I thought I ~might~ make it once around the track without a problem. So I tentatively started on my run, going fairly slowly and I found that after one time around, I wasn’t even winded so I went around again. THEN I started thinking – hey maybe I can actually make it one mile! A mile came and went – I was shocked at how good I felt.

I texted a friend while I was running to ask “how many miles is a 5K?” The answer of 3.106 had me wondering…could I actually run a 5K that night? I kept going round after round absolutely shocked at my endurance. I have NEVER been able to run at all – I couldn’t even have run around my block just four months prior and now I was cruising around that track!

After I was certain I completed a 5K that night I pondered, “if I can do THAT in one impromptu night, what am I REALLY capable of now?” That was when I realized I wanted to seriously train for a marathon. I did some research and found a group that helps people train for their first marathon. Now I’m running 3-4 times per week with my big run on Saturday mornings with my group. I absolutely love it. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’ve become a runner!

So how about it? Do you want to be a marathon runner? Do you want to be in the best shape of your life? Join me – I love working out with other people who want to change their lives. I highly recommend you start with a great workout program you can do anywhere like P90X – yes you can get it at my store and I will coach you through it for free!

I will be posting my progress on my training here each week so come back often. At the very least you might chuckle a little bit. I do see some interesting people on my runs! Some people are very inspirational – like the 70+ year old man that was jogging along with me – amazing! I love to see the people who are over weight but obviously motivated to change their lives and are running out there. It keeps me moving for sure – if they can do it …so can I! You will be most impressed by what YOU are capable of – and believe me folks it is WAY more than you ever imagined. Me? A runner? You must have me confused with someone else.

Now, I see that triathlete is just one of my many descriptors! Stay tuned- a new life in the making.

Fitness Empress the Triathlete Out!
GetFitPhoenix.com
coach@GetFitPhoenix.com

No comments:

Post a Comment