Life as I know it

Life As I Know It

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I'm living in a Sea of Garbage

I think I’ve lost a few readers over the past couple of days. So I’m back to Hi Mom! How are you doing? There are absolutely no swear words in this message.

My son asked me yesterday, Mom, why do you have all this shampoo and toothpaste on the kitchen counter. To which I answered “To remind you to wash your hair and brush your teeth of course.” But between you and me, it is one of those things I struggle with…clutter. Why would I leave that stuff sitting on the counter for three days and not walk it to the bathroom? I think that not only do I need to clean up my finances and my body weight but I also need a good dose of FlyLady too. I am not a born organized person. I have to work very hard to keep a clean house. That isn’t to say my house is a disaster, but it gets undone as fast as I can clean it up and declutter. I can’t tell you how many big black bags of garbage I have thrown away in the past year…of just STUFF I didn’t need or want any more.

I envy those to whom it comes naturally. I mean really, do these people live to clean or something? Personally I think it is witchcraft. Start the trials! Quite frankly I like the Anne Taintor card that says “I understand the concept of cooking and cleaning, just not as it applies to ME.” Now don’t get me wrong. I love to COOK. I just don’t really appreciate the mess I make when I’m doing it. I have also discovered that apparently I only like to cook expensive meals. Things like Filet Mignon and Rack of Lamb and Lobster Bisque. Beans and Rice? Not so much. And my budget right now is more of the Beans and Rice variety.

That is where FlyLady.net comes in. You get an assignment every day - the idea being that if you do a little bit each day – by the end of each month you will have cleaned every inch of your house. You start with a simple task “shine your sink.” You will be surprised that if you just begin with this easy chore, suddenly it jumpstarts you into cleaning your whole kitchen. If you are like me, give it a try. If you are a born organized person, please do not rub it in and you’ll get yours at the new Salem Trials.

On to my “body clutter.” I have been so diligent about working out. I can’t believe it. I don’t think I have EVER worked out this many days in a row in my life. Last night, instead of doing my regular workout, I went running, then walking then roller skating. Yes, I know I’m a very unique person. No I don’t care if I look like roller girl with my iPod dancing while I skate around the park. It was dark anyway. This morning, I ache in places that only roller skating can reach. So I added yet another variation to my workout. How P90X of me!

Today it is raining again in Phoenix. Hello Phoenix, do you know you’re supposed to be sunny every day? I’m going to need light therapy soon. Well at least I haven’t pulled a muscle shoveling snow like the group of followers I have back east.

So off I go to do my FlyLady.net chores for the day. I’m getting my sink shiny and magically the rest will follow. Unfortunately, I still don’t understand why this must be part of my lifestyle. Amanda and I made a joke on the way back to Vegas (a story for another blog) once that I would be living in a “Sea of Garbage” because Troy, her boyfriend, who was watching my home forgot to take out my trash. It has since become a running joke that I don’t want to live in a sea of garbage. So off I go to do the dreadful chores. That’s okay, tomorrow it is supposed to be sunny and blue skies again.

This is the Empress and I approve this message.

Empress Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment